Links to the original proof:
– In French: Fundamental Lemma Proof – Ngo Bao Chau
– In English: bodecoban-ngobaochau
The Fundamental Lemma, abstract:
I will give a gentle overview of the ideas surrounding the Fundamental Lemma and its solution by Ngo Bao-Chau (recently ranked number 7 in Time Magazine‘s Top 10 Scientific Discoveries of 2009). The Fundamental Lemma is a key ingredient in the Arthur-Selberg Trace Formula and the entire Langlands program, with deep implications for number theory. Its conjectural status (to quote Langlands) “rendered progress almost impossible for nearly twenty years”.
Ngo’s solution is a stunning application of the analogy between Riemann surfaces and number fields: it revolves around Hitchin’s integrable system, a construction in the geometry of bundles on surfaces motivated by physics.
The talk will be aimed at a broad graduate audience: http://media.cit.utexas.edu/math-grasp/David_Ben-Zvi_lecture.html.
- Hundreds welcome Fields Medal winner Ngo Bao Chau back (lookatvietnam.com)
- Professor Ngo Bao Chau’s first math teacher (lookatvietnam.com)
- Vietnam maths star prefers life in the shadows (lookatvietnam.com)
- Professor Ngo Bao Chau: “I offer the glory to Vietnam’s young people” (lookatvietnam.com)
- Vietnamese Professor Ngo Bao Chau wins Fields Medal (lookatvietnam.com)
- ICM2010 – Ngo laudatio (gowers.wordpress.com)
- Mathematicians meet begins (thehindu.com)
- Famous mathematic professor returns home (lookatvietnam.com)
- Fields Medals, Other Top Math Prizes, Awarded (news.sciencemag.org)
- Four Are Awarded Medal in Mathematics (nytimes.com)
- MST: It is necessary to have policies to attract brainpower (lookatvietnam.com)
- Education in Vietnam: Low grades for the party (economist.com)